Tuesday 18 June 2013

Fashtags

So Facebook got hashtags...

Well, actually - let me rephrase that. people have been using hashtags on Facebook for quite a while, but now they finally do something. Sort of. 


I get hashtags on Twitter and Tumblr. And Instagram for that matter, though it does frustrate me when people "over-hashtag." (Here's an example) Although i'm guilty of adding the odd, useless hashtag to many on my tweets for 'comedic' purposes, and i'll tag my tumblr posts of pictures i've found and want to share with others. For a monthly event I help run, (Social Media Club Wellington) we use the hashtag #SMCWgtn on the night so people that are unable to attend can still read what's going on.  


Facebook have jumped on the hashtag bandwagon because, “To date, there has not been a simple way to see the larger view of what’s happening or what people are talking about.” (Issac, M. Read the full article here) Although this will be good for businesses, what some people don't realise is that if your privacy settings are up to date, no one will be able to see your hashtag's anyway.


I'm still unsure about FB's new feature, but I guess I can't really knock it too much until i've tried it, right? What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment