Sunday 10 February 2013

Uni or bust.

I was all for going straight to University after high school. I thought I knew exactly what I wanted to do and had it all planned out. 

Through my high school i'd heard of a gap year programe, which gave you the opportunity to work at a school in the United Kingdom. Because of my travel bug, I applied, but didn't think i'd get the chance to go, so continued to check out Universities and live life as normal. 

In August of my senior year I got an email saying I had been accepted, and was going to be placed at The Dragon School in Oxford, England. It was only when I told my friends and saw their reaction that I questioned wether it was the right thing for me or not. Was I ready to leave all my friends and family for a year and go and live on the other side of the world? 

Turns out I was, and to this day I maintain that taking a gap year was one of the best decisions of my life. I got placed at a school with 23 other gap students from Australia and South Africa and was a 'matron" for Cherwell House, home to 80+ 11-13 year old girls.

          

Although testing at times, I felt I grew up a lot on my gap year and experienced so many things. I travelled all around Europe and met so many amazing people, some of whom are still my best friends to this day. I still had regular communication with friends back home, and on my return it was like nothing had changed.

While on my gap year, I also decided I was no longer keen on going to Broadcasting School in Christchurch, my original plan for after high school. Instead I decided I wanted to go to Massey University in Wellington and complete a Bachelor or Communication degree. 

Since I went on my gap year, I can't say what would have happened if I had gone to broadcasting school, but all I know is that the degree i'm completing now is so perfect for me and I can't imagine doing anything else.  

In saying that though, heaps of people I know have gone straight to Uni and still love what they do, but for wanderlusters like myself, before hitting the books, I hit the University of Life, as nothing beats experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment