Monday 22 April 2013

Can it.

A while ago, while trawling through Pinterest, I stumbled upon this post, using tin can's as pencil holders, and decided it would be my next rainy day project. 

(NB: When I say rainy day, I mean it was actually a day that it poured all day, and the sun hardly came out, so apologies at the poor quality of the following photos!)

To start, I bought some tins of peaches and headed down to Bunnings to buy some testpots paint. I decided I wanted to do pastel colours, and settled with "Lochmara Bay Quarter" blue and "Hidden Valley" pink, both from Dulux. 


After soaking the cans to get the label residue off, I decided the best way to paint the cans would be to simply dip them into the paint, as painting with a brush left brush marks and didn't look the best. I put masking tape up to the line where I wanted the paint to be and then just dipped the cans in. 



I left them in the hot water cupboard over night, and voila! If you're going to give it a go, i'd suggest covering the whole top of the can in masking tape and leaving them to dry upside down, as mine have a bit of a build up at the bottom of the can. I also didn't make sure my masking tape was securely down obviously because my lines at the top of the tins aren't completely straight, but ah well, adds to the rustic look! 

I'm still very happy with how they turned out and am now scouring my room for anything and everything else that I paint pastel pink or blue.


No comments:

Post a Comment